Are you looking for an Astronomy Fix, or perhaps an idea for a special present for someone astro-minded? Look no further!
We have the following upcoming public viewings scheduled for 2016; due to high demand these are now booked via Eventbrite so please click on the link to book a place!:
- Tuesday August 9th
- Thursday September 8th
- Tuesday October 11th
- Tuesday November 8th
- Tuesday December 6th
Public Viewings are designed for members of the Public who would like to visit the Observatory to see what we do, who we are, and, with the help of our friendly Outreach team, do some viewing of the night sky through our telescopes.
Public Viewings cost $15 per adult, $10 concession and $5 per child (12 years and under). All money raised goes towards maintenance and preservation of the Observatory.
Previous public viewings in 2016 were:
- Tuesday January 12th, 2016
- Tuesday February 16th Monday 22nd February (changed due to poor weather forecast for 16th) Cancelled due to poor weather forecast for 22nd.
- Tuesday March 22nd (moved from Wednesday March 23rd due to poor weather forecast)
- Tuesday April 12th (Yuri Gagarin night) - NOW FULLY BOOKED!
- Tuesday May 31st NOW FULLY BOOKED FOR MAY!
- Thurs June 30th (Asteroid Day) NOW FULLY BOOKED FOR JUNE! CANCELLED DUE TO POOR WEATHER FORECAST! :-(
- Thursday July 7th (School Holidays) - CANCELLED DUE TO POOR WEATHER
- Thursday July 14th - CANCELLED DUE TO POOR WEATHER FORECAST.
Please consider the neighbours and drive in and out quietly using low beam only, or better still, parking lights.
Please note: MBO will always be closed on days of Severe, Extreme and Code Red fire ratings, please see the CFA website for that information.
For weather information please see our useful links.
Welcome to Mount Burnett Observatory inc. We are an astronomical society based at Mount Burnett Observatory, in the Dandenong Ranges east of Melbourne. The Observatory was originally built in 1972 by Monash University. In 2011 the site was formally taken over by our organisation and it now has a new life as a community observatory. Our aim is to preserve the facility and to use it to promote astronomy and science to the communities in the Dandenongs.
The Observatory for members and guests every Friday from 7:30pm. Our Young Observers group meet on Saturday evenings once a month.
We welcome new members to our association. Membership helps keep the Mount Burnett Observatory running by contributing towards our lease, maintenance costs, infrastructure, electricity bills, etc.
Membership fees are currently $50 for an adult and $25 for a junior or spouse membership. Under 12s are free but must be accompanied by an adult at all events.
Benefits include members nights (every Friday night from 8pm at MBO), invitations to periodic events run by the Observatory & the opportunity to participate in our science outreach activities.
Like to join? It's easy!
New members only - please fill out a form:
- Use our online form to apply for membership!
New and renewing members - pay your membership dues:
You can pay in a number of ways:
- Pay via Paypal:
- Do an online bank transfer to:
- BSB: 633 000 (Bendigo Bank)
- Account No: 143733558
- Come along to a members night meeting and pay the membership fee there.
Our rules of association can be found here.
Children 12 years and under: $5
Mount Burnett also welcomes visits by schools, scouting and community groups. We have a program that can caters for all ages (from Joeys and primary school children to Venturers and VCE students). Sessions take advantage of our portable telescopes for an "eyes-on" view of the sky as well as a host of indoor activities. Programs are tailored to VELS and badges according to group.
The observatory is also available for private booking.