This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Print

Sunday 6th May 2018 - Radio Astronomy Group "Extra" Meeting

Hi radio astro folks,

Sunday 8th April we made good progress learning how to focus the 21cm dishes and were able to get one done by the time we had to finish early.  The next meeting will be the "extra" meeting at 10am Sunday 6th May.

If we have enough people we will work to finish focusing up the second dish and if not we will investigate oddities about the 21cm receiver. We can also do more work on the Radio Jove equipment, mostly working out how to do the predictions necessary for observing the various types of radio emission from Jupiter.

For more info or to ask questions please contact me at:  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

All the best,
Chris


Please note: MBO will always be closed on days of Severe, Extreme and Code Red fire ratings, please see the CFA website for up-to-date information.

For weather information please see our useful links.

 

Print

Sunday 8th April 2018 - Radio Astronomy Group Meeting

Hi Radio Astro folks,

The next RAG meeting will be 10am Sunday 8th April at MBO and will follow on from Sunday 1st's successful test of Adrians repair work to the 21cm hydrogen line receiver.  Now the intermittent crackling is gone we can start trying to focus the dishes using Rays test signal generator housed in the dome.  This will mean a fair bit of manual wrangling of the dishes to point them both to the dome at the same time and get the best signal out of each in turn.

There is an MBO committee meeting at 1pm that day so we will need to finish on time, but if we do have some spare time left over we can look at calibrating the Radio Jove detectors with the test generator as well.

For more info or to ask questions please contact me at:
   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

All the best,

Chris


Please note: MBO will always be closed on days of Severe, Extreme and Code Red fire ratings, please see the CFA website for up-to-date information.

For weather information please see our useful links.

Print

Sunday 1st April 2018 - Radio Astronomy Group "Extra" Meeting

Hi Radio Astro folks,

The next RAG meeting will be the "extra" monthly meeting at 10am on Sunday 1st April (yes really) so let me know if you are interested in coming along!

IMPORTANT: Daylight savings finishes April 1st - if you forget (or think this is an April Fool) then you'll turn up an hour early! :-)

Plans are:

  1. See if Adrians work on the hydrogen line receiver has helped with our intermittent fault.
  2. Capture some sample data from the receiver with the SDR equipment I've got and see what the output looks like.
  3. Re-cable the Radio Jove gear in a better way, I tried to fire up the one Lindsay returned but heard no audio through the speakers.  I suspect it's trivial to fix but the cables are so short it's hard to trace.
  4. Try and tune the second Radio Jove using Ray's signal generator, Lindsay did the other one for the BBC filming session.

People are also welcome to investigate the other projects we've got ideas for, perhaps to make a start on Ray's magnetometers, researching what we need to do regarding burying & cabling them.

For more info or to ask questions please contact me at:
   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thanks!
Chris


Please note: MBO will always be closed on days of Severe, Extreme and Code Red fire ratings, please see the CFA website for up-to-date information.

For weather information please see our useful links.

Print

Sunday 11th March 2018 - Radio Astronomy Group Working Bee

Hi radio astro peeps,

Last Sunday Adrian, Gordy and myself worked on the 21cm hydrogen line gear further, Adrian trying to pin down a hardware fault and myself and Gordy trying to work out the best way of recording data for processing.

You can see us being busy here:

https://twitter.com/chris_bloke/status/970127605264408577

With a first pass at trying to record some sample data here:

https://twitter.com/chris_bloke/status/970150220804775937

Update:

Adrian has been beavering away at the intermittent fault on the receiver and if anyone coming has test gear then it might be useful to him if you are able to bring it along as we try and pin down what's going on.

Last night at MBO I captured about 4 hours worth of data with the eastern (kitchen end) dish and we can look at how that looks and try and understand an odd artifact in it for the first while after it starts capturing data.

I've also had some hints via twitter from an astronomer who deals with hydrogen line data (Benjamin Winkel from Max-Planck Institut für Radioastronomie) about things we will need to consider when processing the data we get. It would be good to look at those ideas and understand what is being suggested and how we can process that data.

So hopefully we can combine some electronics, some data processing and some physics into the session tomorrow.

We will be meeting again for our regular "second Sunday of the month" meeting at MBO this coming 10am Sunday 11th March, feel free to join us if you are interested to learn more!

For more info contact me at:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

All the best,
Chris